Sunday, March 23, 2008

Media Porfolio #6



In this video a famous comedian, Dave Chapell, pokes fun at the ways racism is viewed in America. This video is based on the ways racisim is happening throughout America. Dave Chapelle is a well known comedian that makes fun of the ways blacks and whites are treated in te United States. Racism is not a funny thing but at the same time I think videos and comedians that make fun of the different ways of racism can lighten up the situation a little bit.

If you think about this video, it is a black man making fun of the ways whites treat blacks. That is one of the ways I think that America has changed for the better. Back in history, if a black man would have been caught making fun of the different ways whites and blacks interact, he would have been murdered or beaten. America definatley has changed because blacks and whites can both go to a comedians show and hear the different things that are funny with racism. The best part about the siuation is how both races can laugh at the things he is saying whether they are racist or not. The one thing he does say that can be raletd to the video screening on slavery is the way blacks hum while working while whites whistle. I laughed really hard because it is true if you think about it. Looking about at history blacks did always hum while working which made it seem like the work was hard.

I really like Dave and think that some of the things he does are some of the funniest things I have ever seen. But while watcing this video made me think of a question. How would this picture change if Dave was white? I think that it would be a totally different situation because even though he never was a slave it seems like he has the reserved right to make fun of slavery because his race and ansestors were slaves. If he was white it would not be as funny because he would have no experiences with slavery and people would most likely think that he is extreamly racist.

No comments: