Friday, February 8, 2008

Media Portfolio #2




Being from Cleveland I am a huge Cleveland Indians fan. That is why I chose to write about the way the icon/mascot of the Indian is represented and how it has false characteristics. I never realized how it was misrepresented until I saw the movie "Ethic Notions". That movie opened my eyes to something I have never noticed while rooting for the Indians my whole life.

The icon from the Indians is portrayed like the "common indian" was supposed to look like. With red skin, big eyes, big nose, and big mouth. In respect to the icon because I would never picture them changing it. After watching the movie I will always have that thought in the back of my mind when ever I see it. This picture of the Indian is falac in all ways. First, I highly doubt that indians had bright red skin. I know they didnt have white skin, but i dont get why they had to make the icon bright red. Secondly, Indians did not have huge eyes and mouths like portrayed in the picture. Personally, I think that white people came up with the thought that indians looked so differently because they were "the other". People of different decent with different lifestyles. I dont blame people of indian decent for being mad about the way the icon was sketched. I sure would not want people making fun of my heritage in such humerous ways.

I think that every sports mascot with a native american mascot, such as Indians, Redskins, or Braves should think about changing their names. People should realize the offense people of indian decent take from being mocked with names as team mascots. It is not fair to them, because I would guarentee if a team was named the "whitemen", the white society would up roar against it.

No comments: